Thursday, February 14, 2013

INTERVIEW WITH MEMPHIS DJ NUBREED

DJ/RADIO PERSONALITY NAME: DJ NuBreed
CITY: Memphis

What genre of music do you play? Hip Hop, RnB, Rap, House, Dance, Bounce

So how did it all begin? It all began on the campus of University of Memphis. I started out playing music at house parties switching between my CD's and iTunes, lol. Obviously that wasn't going to work too long. I quickly moved on to a simple DJ program on the computer and began mixing at these college house parties. When I saw the energy I got from the crowd I thought to myself "this is all me!" Having the satisfaction of knowing that everyone had a good time because of the music I played opened my eyes. From then on I studied, watched, learned and listened to the DJ's that were already in the game like: Dj Kutta, Dj Dre, Dj Spydermann, Dj Houston, etc.

Where did the name come from? The name actually comes from my Fraternity; The Delta Nu chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. It was originally DNuBreed symbolizing a new breed of members that came into the chapter around 04/05. I simply split the D from the Nu and made it Dj. Simple, but effective.

What gave you that initial push? When people didn't take me seriously. They made me work harder and grind smarter to earn my respect in this business. I had four people in my ear the entire time i was trying to make a name for myself: Dj Rocksteddy, Dj Q, my guys Jerrick and KJay (who are also both Dj's). They gave me the necessary words and "encouragement" to stop tip toeing and get the ball rolling.

Did the Djing, Production, Promoting come 1st? I've produced music since I was a teenager, that's always been a passion of mine. However, I put it on the back burner when life got "real" after college. I was originally promoting with a group called AEI. A lot of people came and went through AEI, but I'm not gone speak on that, lol. Then the Djing came and changed my life completely.

Who's throwing the best parties at the moment? That's a hard question. Everybody brings something unique and different to their demographic of people. If I had to say somebody it would have to be BBEMG with the Sun Set Day Party.

Which other countries have you played/put parties on? I haven't been out of the county, yet. I'm striving to get international though so stay tuned lol.

What was the first event you ever played at/put on? A Sigma house party in college. Mainstream though would be a birthday party at Elements.

What's the best event you've played at/put on? The Can I Live Weekend Ultimate Day Party of 2012...that party was live all night. #Clutch

What was your first record you bought? I snuck out when I was about 7 or 8 and picked up the Doggystyle tape..."It aint no fun" is still one of my favorite tracks to date.

Out of all the tunes you have, which one 'never fails?' Skool Boy - Be Her Man ....everybody loves a dance record

What's your favorite tune of all time? Man that's a hard question. I would have to say Michael Jackson "Off The Wall".

When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out? I like to eat so, a nice restaurant with some friends is always a plus for me. Honestly, I have a party spirit so if I'm not working on the weekends I try to hang out downtown at 152 with my guy Dj DNyce.

So how is the scene in your eyes at the moment? Monogamous... everybody is doing it.

How big is your vinyl collection? What do you think of CDJ's? I grew up in the Cassette tape, CD era so my Vinyl collection is pretty much non-existent. I personally think CDJ's a great, I personally use 1200 Technincs. It's all a matter of preference. I know one thing...a cdj weights lighter than a turntable smh.

Funniest thing that ever happened at an event? The funniest thing is watching some of these people dance. Certain songs bring out the best and worst in people, lol.

What are your feelings on the MC's? If you break my mixer you buy it, lol...but seriously. I like the MC's they keep the crowd motivated when needed.

What do you do outside of the dance music scene? I eat and sleep. I occasionally wake up and go to work to counsel adults that have had a rough life, but mostly eat and sleep, lol.


What advice would you give to up and coming DJs/Promoters? Know how to play the game before you step foot in the gym. Know what you want to do, where you want to go, and go for it. Nothing comes over night. "If there is no struggle there is no progress" - Frederick Douglass

When you play is this pre planned set? No...I try not to get into a routine. I hate predictability. I always want to make you think I'm going a certain way and hit you with something to remember me by.

Where can you be found doing your thing? Catch me at Silver Spoon every Friday Night and other various locations throughout the week.

What music artist is motivating the music scene right now? 2 Chainz and Future...their "style" has motivated a lot of music being played at the moment.

If you could change anything about the night scene what would it be? The atmosphere. It seems like night life is getting monogamous. It needs to take a shift in a different direction and fast.

Do you feel the DJing game is changing if so how? Yes, I feel that it is not appreciated as it once was. There is more quantity than quality at the moment. The market has been cheapened and the DJ is losing its value to most promoters and club owners.

If you could pick any place you could spin at where would it be? The Ultra Music Festival...to be amongst that atmosphere would be epic. Also, a premier venue in Cali or Vegas would be clutch. I hear they party on a different level out there.

Anything you want to add before we close out? I just want to say thank you for the opportunity to do this. Thanks to all the people who believed that I could make it this far, but the journey isn't over yet. I still have a long way to go so stay tuned and keep rockin with me. #WePartyin

How can we find you on online? www.DjNuBreed.com or @Dj_NuBreed



No comments:

Post a Comment