Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Interview with Model/Makeup Artist Zii


Model Name: Zii
Memphis, TN


What made you get into modeling/makeup?

Modeling – I got into modeling after participating in a pageant, and it was something that I was curious about, so I tried it, liked it, and been doing it ever since.

Makeup—I got into makeup around the time I had to break into it for the pageant. I remember my first lesson, and quite frankly, I wasn’t all that interested. After modeling for a few years, I had to learn how to do my own for runway shows and photo shoots. With practice, I was getting pretty good at it. Then, January 2012, one of my friends asked if I would do her makeup at a fashion show. We went to the restroom, and after I finished her face, it just hit me – I could freelance professionally. At that moment I recognized that God gifted my hands to do something that was unmatched to only a few I had seen. It inspired me to start Daughter of Zion makeup by Zii brand and service. Since then, makeup has been an opportune journey and learning adventure. I love it, and I don’t plan on turning back!


How long have you been into it?

Modeling – I’ve been modeling nearly 6 years, and I’m humbled by the opportunities I’ve been allowed. I’ve graced many runways and worked with some talented photographers.

Makeup—Although I’ve only been doing makeup professionally for a little more than a year, I’ve been perfecting my craft since I was 16.


What are some of your hobbies?

Other than makeup and modeling, I love to sing, dance, act, and go to church. I also enjoy mentoring young people. It’s amazing to see the transformation of young people if you take out a few minutes during the week to encourage and work with them. They gain your trust and respect, then you become someone to them that you would have never imagined.


How do you view the industry?

The industry is very cut-throat. It’s all about networking and making important, valuable and meaningful connections, especially if you want to do more than take pictures for fun. The door is always wide open, but the key is to be prepared. One of my mentors always taught me that PREPERATION + OPPORTUNITY = SUCCESS.


You have anyone in mind you want to work with next model etc.?

I would like to groom more children. Children are so open and willing to learn. They’re easy to teach and mold because they’re like little sponges.

And if I could meet Beyonce, then that would be a plus!


Who are some of your favorite designers/brands?

One of my favorite designers is Korto Momolu out of Little Rock, Ark. She’s so humble and sweet, and her spirit is so very pleasant. Her work speaks for itself. She’s a designer of style and definitely comfort. The fabric she uses melts onto the skin and makes you feel like a goddess.

As far as brands, I’m not hung up on a name. It was just how I was raised. If a t-shirt and jean outfit from Wal-Mart is cute and comfortable, then I feel good. It’s never about the clothes, but the person in them.


Where can we find you online?

You can find me at www.DOZmakeupbyZii.com, or on Instagram @MakeupbyZii. I’m on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DOZmakeup


What is something you willing to share with your readers that they might not know about you?

I’d rather be behind the scenes. It is true that I love the runway, but I get the most excitement when I’m helping someone and making someone else feel good.


Anything you want to add before we close out?

If you don’t know Jesus, get to know Him. In this day in time, you can’t afford to live without a RELATIONSHIP with Him. (That is all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment